Monday, July 13, 2009

Day One Hundred and Three

7/13

The Book: The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

ISBN: 978-0671-02734-6

Suggested By: Mario Leal

Where: Home

When:8:30-9:10P

Music: None

Company: The Family

Pages: 76-131 (55)


The Lead In: This book feels dated. Not like a Fitzgerald or Hemingway book, those ring sincere. This feels like a time-capsule. Everything crammed together to prove this book was written in the 90s. Eh...I wonder if I am being harsh because I am from that era, while maybe my great-grandfather thought The Sun Also Rises was shit.


The 411 on the 55: Charlie does his first LSD, ends up in the hospital, not so good. Ends up spending time with a psychiatrist, and seems to improve his outlook on life. His love of Sam becomes more complicated when he decides to give into another friend, Mary Elizabeth, and date her.


Mary is a control freak who is very into all the movements of the time period. When Charlie dates her, however, he finds her to be less like her facade and more like every one else. This reminds me of an experience I had, dating a girl who I thought was brilliant and insightful, etc. One week was enough for me to realize she was not the woman advertised. Funny enough, she dumped me.


Side note, Charlie drives his sister to the abortion clinic to have one done. I don’t know if this was indicative of more to come or not.


Line of the Day: “It’s important to say “sir” at these moments.”pg 84


Fact on the Fiction: “Chbosky agreed to serve as co-creator, executive producer, and writer of the CBS serial television drama Jericho, which premiered in September 2006. The series revolves around the inhabitants of the fictional small town of Jericho, Kansas in the aftermath of several nuclear attacks.” Awesomely, the show was actually cancelled twice. (on a side note, this page definitely seems to be written by Chbosky himself) Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment