Friday, April 3, 2009

Day Three

4/3

The Book: The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman.

ISBN: 978-0-440-41832-0

Suggested By: Sissy Vaughn, Audrey Scott

Where: Home

When: 1:50 - 2:40p

Music: None

Company: Alone

Pages: 131- 200 (69)


The Lead In: Today is the first of what will make this reading exercise difficult. After running chores in the morning and meeting a friend for coffee, I am coming up against a deadline with work at four. My guess, without this pressing on me, this would be a day I wouldn’t read. But I will now...


The 411 on the 55: It’s decided that the Gyptians will go North to try and get the kids back. Introduced in this section are Iorek Byrnison, a polar bear with armor, and Lee Scoresby, a Texas balloon. Don’t worry, it all makes sense in the context of the book.


These pages really focused on a couple of things. 1. Lyra growing up. I know from side reading that the concept of innocence is a big deal in the Pullman Trilogy and he seems to be foreshadowing things to come. 2. Daemons and humans (especially Lyra and her’s) are closely tied together. Of course, because of the movie I know where this is headed, but its still hinted at throughout this section.


Line of the Day: “I would ask where I could obtain the services of an armored bear.” pg. 171


Fact on the Fiction: In regards to Scoresby's name, Philip Pullman says: "Lee Scoresby comes from two sources. One is the actor Lee Van Cleef, who looks just like the character. And the other is the name of an Arctic explorer, William Scoresby. Wikia 

No comments:

Post a Comment